Yeah, because sometimes the movie was ready to go, but life wasn’t ready. For instance, I had always written this movie to take place on the beach. It was called Blue Valentine, and it took place on the ocean. I called up Michelle and told her that Ryan was on board, and I said, Pack your bags, we’re going to California. And she said, I can’t. And I said, Why not? And she said, I promised my daughter I’d keep her in school, I’d tuck her in bed every night and drive her to school every morning. And I said, Look, there’s beds in California, and you can get a tutor. And she said, I can’t do it, I promised her. I understood, because I’m a parent and I knew she didn’t want to break a promise to her kid, so I hung up the phone and thought about recasting. Then I thought to myself, If she could just make that kind of selfless decision for someone else in her life over a film that she loved so much, then that’s the reason why she is the only person to be in this movie. So I called her back the next day and I said, I’ve got a deal for you. If I can get you home every night to tuck her in and every morning to take her to school, will you do it?” And she said, That’s the most generous thing anyone’s ever offered me. So we picked a place that was an hour from where she lived, and for me, that was a turning point, because the film was never about the place, it was about the people.
Comfy. 👍👌 (at Eastwood City)
Last week I shot a roll of film that I’d got free with a second hand camera. When I got back the scans I found out that the roll had already been used by the guy who gave me it and so I had double exposed it. By chance, both of us had taken a photo of a motorway landscape and this was made. His photo is from the inside of the car looking at countryside and my shot of an urban motorway is best seen on the left hand side.
1. Do not kill yourself. Killing yourself is very messy and your mother will cry over you. It is not beautiful or brave, and even if it was, you will not be around to see that.
2. Washing your hair is going to be a chore. But you should do it anyway. Because you will feel better about yourself.
3. Get up late. Have a lay in. Sleep past your alarm. You have a very long life ahead of you and for now you should appreciate the cold side of your pillow.
4. He is going to break your heart but he’s just another male human who finds it hard to deal with Mondays, too. So in a month you’ll wake up and you won’t even remember that little scar on his knuckle you kissed.
5. Don’t spend hours looking up what your name means on google. Your name is your name and you should go out there and do heroic and good deeds and give your name your own meaning.
6. Don’t fight your demons. Your demons are here to teach you lessons. Sit down with your demons and have a drink and a chat and learn their names and talk about the burns on their fingers and scratches on their ankles. Some of them are very nice.
7. Music is good for your soul. Rap music will energise you and boost your ego and pop music will cheer you up. Indie music will make you think and emotional songs will make you cry and think about that boy again. It’s healthy.
8. Victim complexes are not attractive. Boys and girls will not date you because you are sad. They are not going to date you and kiss your aching bones and cure you of your dragging depression. Wake up. Take a bath. Do your hair. Be attractive.
9. Sadness is not poetic. Depression is not beautiful. Laying in bed all day and eating too much is lazy and disgusting and it is not tragic or pretty. Get up. Go outside. Let the sun warm your bones. Live.
10. If it makes you happy, buy twenty of it. Dedicate your life to it. Print it on tv shirts and collect things and draw art of it. Do not care what people think. They are the unhappy people you need to avoid. The abuse they will hurl at you is painless compared to how sad they are. Pity them. Remain happy.
11. You are allowed to he angry. But the world is not working against you. The flowers do not bloom for you and when your mother shouts ask her if she is okay instead of thinking she hates you. She never will. The world walks beside you and is silent. It does not trip you up or carry you.
12. Day and night cycles are natural. Humans only sleep at night because we used to avoid predators in the dark because of our poor eyesight. Stay awake until 5am watching bad reality shows. Wake up at 7pm and have breakfast.
13. Eat when you are hungry. Being bored does not constitute a chocolate bar. Sleep with you are tired. Do not mindlessly obey the sleep at night rule. If you are not tired, do not sleep.”
—Lapfoxs (via lapfoxs)